On Apr 23, 2012, at 9:23 PM, Andrew Hughes wrote:

>   2. Nexus will allow you to proxy/mirror a lot more than one repository,
>   it will also allow you to place rules on repositories and additional
>   configuration.

This is worth noting in a large / paranoid corporate environment from a couple
of different perspectives:

a) Without rules in place, it's possible to see what artifacts are being used
throughout the company just by looking at the downloaded artifacts.  (The
results may surprise you!)

b) With rules in place, it's easy to do things like limit any new artifacts
from being used that are not approved.  Developers can't be stopped from
downloading artifacts from around the interwebs, but if they can't add them to
the repository you control, they will break the build by changing POMs to
reference them.

For the ultra-paranoid, putting the POMs under 24x7 change control keeps any
changes to the repositories from being checked in.  I did this on a job at a
big phone company last year.

Alternatively, Maven has a unique HTTP User-Agent, and it would be easy for
corporate security to configure firewalls to reject any outside access to the
Maven UA except via Nexus.  This would allow the POMs to remain unlocked, but
any references to new repositories from the corporate LAN would be rejected
(regardless of the source of the project or whether the POM was under change
control).  Again, it's not that you are trying to stop one person from changing
their UA, but stop the majority of people from accidentally downloading malware
from a rogue repo after they check out tainted source.

It's hard to know what "other concerns" the original poster had, but maybe this
provides some ideas if it is about security.

HTH, B