FYI: The situation described in this thread reminds me of my problem in the
thread "Initial Maven Install - repository download fails on large
files<http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/maven-users/201204.mbox/%3cCAGQXBeOOrzfe+Tw7H4zrBLXERD0Sx_or2NJ-8E6nAzMSxML=w...@mail.gmail.com%3e>".
It seems Windows firewall and proxies have been blamed  in the past,
however after I submitted my problem I have found that running in  a VMWare
Virtual Machine can  have the same effect :).  Using the same computer
maven seem to handle repo download fine outside the VM, but inside VM
downloads of larger files usually hangs, even if the environments are not
very different: Both are Win7x64, same Java, maven and network connection.

--arneT