if you change your batch file to build up a classpath for you, it could add
in any jars in the "patches" directory onto the classpath first. You might
want to have a look at the batch files used to launch some of the common
Java apps, e.g. ANT and Maven. Also take a look at the batch files
generated by the appassembler-maven-plugin @ mojo.