On 4/27/2012 3:26 PM, Manfred Moser wrote:
On Fri, April 27, 2012 12:19 pm, J.V. wrote:
this is the issue (that only one artifact is picked).  How does it know
to pick the right one?

What if log4j ver 1.2.15 has a method that log4j 1.2.10 does not have?

also what if both jars have a method with the same signature but
function differently?

In this case you need both jars and at runtime to have the right jar in
the classpath for that piece of code.
That is not how the classpath works... if you have the same method with
identical signature in the classpath whatever method is first in the class
path will be picked. Depending on your classpath that could be either so
just having both in there does not work.
yes, I know, this is the problem I am trying to solve. I believe OSGi has been the answer to the response on how to have multiple versions of the same jar and switch at runtime as needed.

manfred