Well, that's why I'm asking for a best practice, I'm trying to avoid
antishness as much as possible.

However, I'm in charge of 400+ individual Maven projects, not counting all
the modules. If an environment changes, I'm not eager to load up 400+
individual pom files to make the required change, then commit them all, etc.

The profiles I'm looking to include look like this:

<profile>
                        <id>iwebdev</id>
                        <build>
                                <plugins>
                                        <plugin>

<groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>

<artifactId>wagon-maven-plugin</artifactId>
                                                <version>1.0-beta-3</version>
                                                <executions>
                                                        <execution>

<id>iwebdev05</id>

<phase>deploy</phase>
                                                                <goals>

<goal>upload-single</goal>
                                                                </goals>
                                                                <configuration>

<serverId>iwebdev05</serverId>

<fromFile>${project.build.directory}/${final.name}.ear</fromFile>

<url>scp://iwebdev05/data/web/webapps</url>
                                                                </configuration>
                                                        </execution>
                                                        <execution>

<id>iwebdev06</id>

<phase>deploy</phase>
                                                                <goals>

<goal>upload-single</goal>
                                                                </goals>
                                                                <configuration>

<serverId>iwebdev06</serverId>

<fromFile>${project.build.directory}/${final.name}.ear</fromFile>

<url>scp://iwebdev06/data/web/webapps</url>
                                                                </configuration>
                                                        </execution>

                                                </executions>
                                        </plugin>
                                </plugins>
                        </build>
                </profile>

It's not something I can put into a settings.xml file, which I'd rather not
do anyway, since it would be a very big potential build-breaker. But at the
same time, we have 10+ individual environments, and I'd rather not pollute
each project pom with pages of this stuff, nor would I like to (As mentioned
earlier) update 400+ poms just because a server path changes.

Is there a better way to handle this?

(I appreciate any advice given)