Hi,

> Yes, Starting/stopping
> Deploying to an instance (whatever that means)
>
> The most important thing I was thinking of is testing. That means
testing a
> web application with apache httpd and selenium. Testing a web app that
> requires mod_rewrite won't work at the moment because tomcat and jetty
are
> not aware of .htaccess and mod_rewrite and therefor the requests will
not
> be redirected to the correct php/perl/cgi scripts. Having a web.xml with
> servlet mappings that are similar to the .htaccess rewrite rules for
only
> supporting maven tests sounds not good for me.

Is it really necessary to start and stop a webserver from within Maven
solely for the purpose of testing? Wouldn't it be easier to simply let
Apache run in the background, for example on a dedicated machine or build
server etc., (re-)deploy your artifact(s) and then start testing?

If you still need starting/stopping the Apache instance from within a
Maven build, I'd suggest you have a look at the exec plugin ([1]) and
start and stop your Apache instance directly via "apachectl -k
{start,stop}".

[1] http://mojo.codehaus.org/exec-maven-plugin/

HTH

Thorsten