On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 11:48 AM, KARR, DAVID <dk0...@att.com> wrote:
> I'm reading "Continuous Delivery", which is a good book, but I read one
> statement about Maven that seems out of date to me.  I'd appreciate a bit of
> fact-checking here.
>
> It said:
>
> "... in its default configuration, it is self-updating. Maven's core is very
> small, and in order to make itself functional, it downloads its own plugins
> from the internet. Maven will attempt to upgrade itself every time it is
> run..."
>
> I seem to remember the default self-updating problem from years ago, but I
> thought that was changed in the last couple of years.  If this isn't still
> the case, do you remember the history of when this changed?

The version of maven you use will never update itself, you have to do
that manually.

The current best practice is to lock down plugin versions to stop the
latest version being used, and maven enforcer can help with this.
If you don't lock down plugins then 6 months later your build is no
longer reproducible as you will be using different versions.
I think what plugins that were during the build lifecycle was meant to
be written into the jar's META-INF files somewhere but I can't recall
clearly enough whether it did that correctly.