On Friday, 13 July 2012, wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I made some tests with the Versions Maven Plugin and the behaviour of the
> goal versions:update-properties is different from my expectation.
>
> I have two artifacts in my repository:
>
> 1. pom-projet-a with the version 1.4.0 and 1.5.0-SNAPSHOT
> 2. jar-project-b with the version 1.11.0 and 1.12.0-SNAPSHOT
>
> In a third project I have following pom definition:
>
>         <parent>
>                 <groupId>mycompany</groupId>
>                 <artifactId>pom-project-a</artifactId>
>                 <version>1.5.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
>         </parent>
>
>         <packaging>pom</packaging>
>
>         <artifactId>release-test</artifactId>
>         <version>1.0.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
>
>         <properties>
>                 <jar.version>1.12.0-SNAPSHOT</jar.version>
>         </properties>
>
>         <name>Release Test</name>
>

>         <dependencies>
>                 <dependency>
>                         <groupId>mycompany</groupId>
>                         <artifactId>jar-project-b</artifactId>
>                         <version>${jar.version}</version>
>                 </dependency>
>         </dependencies>
>
> When I call the goal versions:update-parent, the Versions Maven Plugin
> changes the version number to the last release version (here 1.4.0). This
> is what I expect.

If 1.5.0-SNAPSHOT is in the reactor/local/remote repo it should leave as
is. If this is not the case then you have a bug

When I call the goal versions:update-properties, the
> version in the property "jar.version" isn't changed. I would expect, that
> the plugin would change the version number to the last release version
> (here 1.11.0) , too.

Should never downgrade to older versions, so FAD

> I made another test. I put the artifact jar-project-b with the version
> 1.12.0 in my repository, so I have the version 1.11.0, 1.12.0,
> 1.12.0-SNAPSHOT in my repository. When I call now the goal
> versions:update-properties, the version in the property  "jar.version" is
> changed to 1.12.0. (the last release version).

FAD

> Now my question is:
> Is this a bug in the plugin or is my expectation wrong?

Update-* should only move forward

Update-parent has a special case where it will try to fix child projects so
they can be built, a side-effect is that it might downgrade to a real
version... Perhaps that "feature" could be moved to a fix-parent goal