>> Plugin that does not have execution defined but it still executes (as you
>> say you'd want) is usually bound to lifecycle of the packaging in it's
>> lifecycle mapping. So, unless you write your own packaging (I doubt this is
>> what you need), you are left to declare plugin _with_ executions.
>
> But it is either a well guarded secret how to package a plugin so it
> has knowledge about when it should be executed or impossible.

There is no great conspiracy at work here. You simply fail to
understand what is meant by the term "packaging." Tamás is not saying
you need to package your plugin a particular way for this to work. He
is literally talking about Maven's concept of a package (jar, war,
ear, pom, etc) and how that determines the lifecycle which will be
used and thus which plugins are bound to the build.

Read more here:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-lifecycle.html#Packaging

If you really want to do this, read Robert's links. It is nontrivial
stuff but can certainly be done if this is truly what you require.
Most people find this to be way more than they need and resort to
providing a couple extra lines of configuration in their plugin
declarations instead.

Wayne