Hi,
> I need a phase between  install and deploy.
> Ie maybe a pre-deploy or prepare-deploy.
>  I would like to do some checks in all poms before the
> artifacts get deployed.
What kind of checks would you like to have?

have you taken a look to maven-enforcer-plugin ?
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-enforcer-plugin/
May be this already fit you needs...

Furthermore i would suggest to other checks in the in the
verify phase before install, cause after install the pom's are already in the local repository.

Kind regard
Karl-Heinz Marbaise
Dipl.Ing.(FH) Karl-Heinz Marbaise        ICQ#: 135949029
Hauptstrasse 177                         USt.IdNr: DE191347579
52146 Würselen                           http://www.soebes.de