Hi all,

What's the maven way to allow to build individual modules and ensure that
changes to parent pom are uploaded into the local repository

Let's say I have three modules: one parent, two children (dbmod, appmod)
parent:    dependencyManagement defines jdbc-foo 1.5
dbmod:   dependencies defines jdbc-foo getting version from parent
appmod: depens on dbmod

I build from parent getting parent-pom with jdbc-foo 1.5, dbmod using
jdbc-foo 1.5 and appmod.
I update source control and parent pom changes to jdbc-foo 1.6
I build in dbmod directory
I build in appmod directory
  appmod fetches dbmod from local repository and uses local repo version of
parent pom
  maven issues: "[WARNING] The POM for ...dbmod:jar:3.5.0-SNAPSHOT is
invalid, transitive dependencies (if any) will not be available: 1 problem
was encountered while building the effective model for dbmod:3.5.0-SNAPSHOT"
  compilation fails because my code relied on access to jdbc-foo 1.6 changes

I can resolve the problem these way:
If I install the parent pom file manually the problem, (mvn install-file
...)
If I build from the parent (if I have 80+ modules, this isn't ideal)
if I build from the parent selecting the desired project and using
also-make (mvn -am -pl :appmod  ...)

If there a config setting that would force parent install other than "-am
pl :mod" or is this the "maven way" to handle the situation?

Thanks

Peter

--
Peter Kahn