Our project was about 50% larger in terms of modules and we did what you are suggesting and got rid of the idea of increasing versions on artifacts that did not change.

I am not sure why this is causing you more problems rather than less.

We had a master spreadsheet listing all of our modules and their versions.
Every time we issued a new release, we went through the list at looked at what was going to change and what was going to carry through "as is" with the version number that it had.

We also looked at third party libraries that we wanted to upgrade at the same time.

We fixed up each pom to update the versions of anything that was going to change to a x.x-SNAPSHOT and moved on. It took about an hour to do the whole job since our system was service oriented so there were not a lot of dependencies.

Once a module was tested and released we updated the dependencies to the released module. We still ended up with a lot of releases at the very end of the upgrade process but that is partly human nature since deleting a release is a bad thing even if it is one of yours and could only be done by me so it got a lot of visibility if someone made a mistake. It is hard to get everyone confident that their module's specification will not change due to someone else making a mistake in their design which only gets detected late in the process. They solved this by staying at the SNAPSHOT after they had it fully tested and ready for release, if someone who depended on it was not yet done.
It was not a big problem and I never took any steps to fix it.

We aggregated a lot of library-like dependencies into larger packages that were "provided". This gave a dependency on our "utilities" package that actually was an aggregation of several projects so each war project did not have dozens of dependencies on modules that were shared by most modules. We did this with third party software as well so a lot of really useful Apache libraries were aggregated into 1 jar that all projects depended on.

This reduced the number of dependencies in the POM files and made them a lot easier to maintain. By using a lot of "Provided" jars, we really sped up the builds and reduced the size of the war files from megabytes to kilobytes since they only contained the code that was in the source files rather that a few Kb of code output and megabytes of libraries.

I am not sure that this is the best way to tackle the problem but it eliminated the work that we were doing when we changed the version on everything that made up the application.

It also got us thinking about our own packages in the same way that we looked at Apache libraries.

There was an incentive to think about interfaces and SOA in a more considered way.

I hope that this helps.
You are on the right track and your project is still pretty small at 50 modules.

Ron