I'm not sure what the fuss is about here.

All of the latest and historical hibernate artefacts are available on central.

The two jars that you mention below are versioned differently. As mentioned
elsewhere you would have to ask on the hibernate lists as to the reasons for
this.

You seem to think that hibernate-annotations is a maven plugin? It's not. AFAIK
it is a runtime library.

Furthermore, most artefacts in the JBoss Maven repo are already synchronised
with Central. See
<https://community.jboss.org/wiki/MavenRepositoryCentralSynchronization>.

Cheers,

Steve C