If it has to be in src/main/resources I guess you're out of luck. It's
technically possible to have a rules file copied to that folder during
the build process, but it's against the Maven laws. Anything
copied/generated during the build process should be to the target
folder.

Please note that the macker-maven-plugin at Codehaus Mojo (that's the
one you're talking about, isn't it?) is in sandbox. So there is no
release. You have to get the source and build it yourself. So you
could change the code to have the path for the rules file fully
configurable.

/Anders