Thanks for the suggestions.
I tried the dependency plugin.  Works great as a Maven goal.  I have not
found a m2e lifecycle mapping for unpack yet; finding some info, so hope to
make it work within the IDE.
Tried this [0] with <execute/> but only removed the warning of no lifecycle
mapped.  Will continue trying to find the answer, as it appears to work for
others...

[0]
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8706017/maven-dependency-plugin-goals-copy-dependencies-unpack-is-not-supported-b