On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 3:41 PM, Ron Wheeler
<rwhee...@artifact-software.com> wrote:
> On 29/11/2012 2:58 PM, Benson Margulies wrote:
>>
>> Most serious users of Maven start out by building and releasing a
>> common parent POM for their corporation or workgroup. This locks down
>> plugin versions and configures core plugins such as the
>> maven-compiler-plugin. So the old default to 1.3 was never a very
>> serious inconvenience, since it's just a line or two as part of the
>> overall process.
>>
>> Please don't even suggest the idea that we'd default Maven to 1.7.
>
> It would be good to know what new Maven adopters are intending to use as
> development platforms.
> As you correctly point out, the old-timers have already figured out how to
> set up the version that they want to use.
>
>> Taken as a lump, the Java development community is very slow to adopt
>> new versions of Java, thanks in part to the disfunctions of Sun and
>> Oracle that occupied the last few years.
>
> I would be surprised if a new Maven user would be starting a new project on
> a version of Java earlier than 7 given that it has been out for so long.
> I suppose that there are some users who are new to Maven but are converting
> an old project that has its own history.
> We stay pretty current but it does take a few months to get the time to
> switch.

One of us will certainly be surprised. I know many people who still
live under a '1.5' policy, and many more who live under a '1.6'
policy. I don't think I know anyone professionally who is depending on
1.7. The slowness of policy, certification, and other bureaucracy is
not to be underestimated.

> Is there any way to find out what new users are using as their Java
> compilers.

Remember that many 'new maven users' are porting existing code bases,
with existing dependencies, and existing customer obligations, to
maven.