Taken from
http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-profiles.html

Deactivating a profile

Starting with Maven 2.0.10, one or more profiles can be deactivated using
the command line by prefixing their identifier with either the character
'!' or '-' as shown below:

mvn groupId:artifactId:goal -P !profile-1,!profile-2

This can be used to deactivate profiles marked as activeByDefault or
profiles that would otherwise be activated through their activation config.

so you need to do ' -P vm,!dev '