A very common and well working approach is to have a branch qualifier in
the version and change the version of your project with the versions
plugin.

So e.g. you would have

1.1.2-brancha-SNASPHOT
1.1.2-branchb-SNASPHOT

and to update them after you cut the branch in your scm you could use

mvn versions:set -=DnewVersion= 1.1.2-brancha-SNAPSHOT

manfred