>         <plugin>
>             <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
>             <artifactId>maven-antrun-plugin</artifactId>
>             <version>1.7</version>
>             <executions>
>                 <execution>
                       <phase><!-- needs a lifecycle phase here --></phase>
>                     <id>startupTomcat</id>
>                     <goals>
>                         <goal>run</goal>
>                     </goals>

Generally I'd expect you to have a lifecycle phase defined in the
<execution> and then you'd run "mvn <phase>" and Antrun would be
automatically invoked during that phase to start your Tomcat instance.

If this startpTomcat step is not going to be a regular part of your
build in this project, you can use Maven Profiles instead, but at that
point I think there is no good reason to use Maven at all and you
might as well use Ant directly with its own build.xml etc.

Wayne