mvn package/install will always build unique artifacts locally.
The unique artifacts option is only used when deploying (i.e. mvn deploy).

Using a repository manager, this is actually not really an issue: just
configure it to remove old snapshots (with nexus, it's called Scheduled
Tasks, I don't know the name of this config with artifactory).

Cheers