Jörg Schaible wrote at some time (sorry, I'm doing this manually now, as
my mail client is apparently incapable of doing this in a mailing-list
friendly way):
> in the end, you always control it yourself (that's what project parents
and
> dependencyManagement sections are for) and in combination with
properties
> you have absolute control.

Thanks for your suggestion, but the thing is that I actually need the
semantics of the "provided" scope (so managing it to "compile" doesn't
help me). Due to the nature of compile-time (not "compile" scope!)
dependencies, there are cases where "provided" are required transitively
for compilation.

I hope I'm getting through here at all, it is really hard to explain this
clearly.

The thing I just don't get is why this case of transitive dependencies for
compilation is considered in the "compile" scope, but not in the
"provided" scope. I get all the stuff about provision for runtime and I
agree 100% with that. It is just at compile-time where I believe the
current behaviour is at least inconsistent, if not wrong.

Best regards,
Patrick

Patrick Schlebusch - KISTERS AG - Charlottenburger Allee 5 - 52068 Aachen -
Germany
Handelsregister Aachen, HRB-Nr. 7838 | Vorstand: Klaus Kisters, Hanns Kisters |
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Dr. Thomas Klevers
Tel.: +49 241 9671 -466 | Fax: +49 241 9671 -555 | E-Mail:
patrick.schlebu...@kisters.de | WWW: http://www.kisters.de
Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten
haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und vernichten Sie diese Mail.
Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser Mail ist nicht
gestattet.
notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorised
forbidden.