Hi Peter,

> What is the maven.conf.dir property for? The user guide says, "The directory
> that holds configuration files." Configuration files for what?? Are they
> included as a 'source directory' of sorts?? What does Maven do with the
> config files?
Looks like maven itself doesn't use that property at all.  Some
plugins use it to find plugin-dependent configuration files.  An
example is the j2ee plugin, which uses it to locate deployment
descriptors.
  http://maven.apache.org/reference/plugins/j2ee/properties.html

> I would like Maven to slurp up my configuration files and put them on my
> classpath for when I run JUnit tests with Maven. I keep all my config files
> in a separate folder than the source package hierarchy. So how do I get
> Maven to put them in with the classes? Is this what maven.conf.dir for??
Just add them as resources.
  http://maven.apache.org/reference/project-descriptor.html#unitTest_resources

Best regards,
-- Shinobu Kawai