On 2013-03-25 3:49 AM, Jörg Schaible wrote:
Hi Eric,

Eric Kolotyluk wrote:

I have two development environments: work and personal.

I am trying to set up my projects so that the POM knows which profile to
activate, but it seems you cannot put <activeProfiles> in a POM, only in
a settings.xml file. Is there some reason for this?

Is there some other Maven way to do what I want to do? How do other
people separate work development from personal development?
What's the problem with it? If you active a profile in the settings.xml, you
can use this profile (i.e. a profile with same name) also in your POMs, you
don't need an activation anymore.

- Jörg

What I wanted to do was uses the same settings.xml for work and personal development. For example, I have to profiles

1. nexus-kodak
2. nexus-kolotyluk

The first uses the settings for our nexus server at Kodak, while the second uses my personal nexus server. I wanted to be able to put

  <activeProfiles>
    <activeProfile>nexus-kodak</activeProfile>
  </activeProfiles>

In the parent POM of my Kodak projects, and put

  <activeProfiles>
    <activeProfile>nexus-kolotyluk</activeProfile>
  </activeProfiles>

in the parent POM of my personal projects.

In the end I have been convinced that when working from home, to use a separate Virtual Machine for all my work related development at home, which creates a cleaner separation between work and home.

Cheers, Eric