OK, I think I misread your first message.
So, it seems you're trying to run the plugin from the parent to access
sources from a child module.

If so, then you should know it's a bad idea. Modules should generally be
independent in their execution.
If that plugin is needed in your core module, then configure it just in
that plugin.

Here, the first error is related to the fact the plugin is trying to
execute for the parent pom, but there's logically no sources. So the
execution stops there.
Then I think the second one is the core module execution inheriting the
parent configuration, but for this module ${basedir} is already containing
core, so there's core twice.

Cheers