Well how I normally do something like that is I put the failsafe execution
in a profile, which by convention is called `run-its`

So to build everything and install in the local repository cache:

mvn install

To build everything and install in the local repository cache with
integration tests run:

mvn -P+run-its install

The second invokation will also rebuild the artifacts.

Note I typically will have the release profile activate the integration
tests also such that the integration tests are run on all release artifacts
always.

If, however, you want to be able to test the build artifacts without
rebuilding them, then you really just need to factor the tests into a
separate module and just run that module.

So, you would have a separate module called integration-tests that has its
tests added via the run-its profile

mvn install

will install everything (including the dummy integration-tests module)

mvn -Prun-its -pl integration-tests verify

will just run the integration tests module with the integration test
profile added (so that this time the integration tests are run)