The default folder for resources, which need to be available on the classpath is:
src/main/resources

and for java-files:
src/main/java

using the standard directory layout [1] is by far the easiest way to setup your project.

if you still want to keep your own structure and adjust the pom, have a look at the maven-resource-plugin[2], which is responsible for copying files to the classes-folder.

Robert

[1] http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-standard-directory-layout.html [2] http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-resources-plugin/examples/include-exclude.html