On 09/05/13 17:21, Manfred Moser wrote:
> Correct. The other thing you want to ensure is your acquisition of the
> jar. With Nexus (and other repo managers probably) you can connect to the
> https secured version of Central and enforce checksum verification so you
> can be sure that any component you get into the repo manager is the same
> as upstream.
Authenticity of the binary is just one element in the big picture
though.  The requirement I have involves various factors, some of which
appear to be addressed by CLM.

- some plugin that is essential to the build process is only available
in binary format.  The developer has put a time restriction on the
binary (e.g. it stops working in 2014) as they plan to start charging
money for it in future, but no user is aware of this restriction until
it's too late.
- a user wants to run their own on-site code analysis tool, and as the
quality of the tool improves, they want to re-run it over all their open
source code from time to time as well
- a user stresses a particular part of the code that has never been used
in anger before, and they need to profile and optimize that code with
some tools that require an original source tree

As I see it, CLM may provide the foundation for addressing these
concerns (e.g. by making sure that all components provide sources), but
the most prudent users still potentially need a convenient way to repeat
the build(s) locally on demand in a clean, offline environment.

Does Sonatype offer a public CLM demo of some multi-component open
source project, e.g. to show how CLM reports on Eclipse and perhaps some
application server like Apache ServiceMix?

The other thing that caught my attention is the Maven SCM capability,
and the <scm/> element in pom.xml - is this only used for making tags
after a build?  Or does any tool use this information to recursively
check-out and build dependency projects?

In Stephen's earlier reply, he commented on the difficulty of
recognizing embedded code (e.g. class files or JARs).  I don't think
this is as bad as it sounds though: a quick check of the signature of a
file is enough to determine if it is a PNG or a JAR or something
unknown.  A recursive scan of sources would probably classify each of
those artifacts for a different action.  e.g. *.png could be
whitelisted, while source repositories that keep binary copies of some
build tools would generate an alert for manual attention.

> This avoid the problem of building from source as you suggest since this
> is very often extremely difficult (just as the Debian folks or other Linux
> distros that try to rebuild everything from sources.. its a HUGE task).
I am one of those Debian folks and I do provide all my own packages in a
manner that enables people to repeat the build, add patches, etc in a
very uniform manner - although bringing Maven-based projects into Debian
wasn't the reason for my query in this instance.