Ok. I managed to check.

So no, there is no range like in your example from what I see. The
dependency tree tells me that com.sun.xml.ws:jaxws-rt:jar:2.1.7 is
referencing version 1.2 and that's it.

I just realized that the problem occurs when I'm using the -U option. The
help is telling that it "Forces a check for updated releases and snapshots
on remote". It's a bit weird that rekeases are checked but why not. BUT why
is staxex maven-metadata.xml file the only one the keeps being downloaded?
(with groovy-eclipse-batch that also is)??? Some timestamp issue?