I made this mistake too. Could I make some suggestions?

Add the banned naming to the top of plugin guides, such as:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/plugin/guide-java-plugin-development.html

Change this page to only have the single prefix-maven-plugin example:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-plugin-prefix-mapping.html
I scan read and thought they were just two options.

Use big/bold/red font.
"You must not name your plugin maven-foo-plugin as these are reserved
by trademark for the Apache Maven project itself"

Sonatype's Maven Central upload should have a rule to prevent any new
jar being pushed with the maven-*-plugin name (unless its an update to
an existing version or within org.apache.maven group).

I'd note that now I have a plugin in Maven Central with the wrong name
I can't remove it, so getting this wrong is a right pain in the ***
and messes lots of things up.

Stephen