> I needed to create a client web service for the database connectivity module.
> This
> is where I added the dependency on axis2. Without the .mar file the response
> coding
> for the client request call fails.

I understand this. You also said the monitor project "uses" the
database connectivity module. Do you know if the monitor project would
fail if you got rid of the axis2 addressing mar file? Or would it work
with no issues?

> My understanding may be faulty but I thought that the assembly.xml file is a
> kind of
> 'parent configuration' to the m-assembly-p plugin because of the
> <id>jar-with-dependencies</id> tag in it.

EITHER you use a default, built-in descriptor (like
jar-with-dependencies) when you are using the assembly plugin and then
don't specify your own assembly.xml file **or** you build your own
custom assembly.xml and tell the assembly plugin about it. Pick one.
And if you want to do something custom, please don't use
"jar-with-dependencies" as the id as that already has a definition in
Maven. Use "alans-custom-id" or anything else.

> Trying to exclude the .mar file inside the m-assembly-p of the pom.xml didn't
> seem to work.
> So I'm trying to exclude it inside of the assembly.xml but that isn't working
> either. At this point
> I'm either looking in the wrong areas or using the wrong string
> (org.apache.axis2:addressing:mar:1.6.2) to exclude it.

There should be no need to make your own assembly.xml if you simply
want to exclude a dependency from being packaged along with the rest
of it. You could simply <exclude> it in one of several places in the
pom.xml file.

Wayne