Thanks for the feedback, I've managed some success using a <reporting> tag
in my pom.  I've created a HelloWorld project and am following the
guidelines at:
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-checkstyle-plugin/usage.html

I'm able to generate a fluido styled checkstyle report and link to it from
my site.xml.  So I must be doing something right.  Not sure why my other
project is unable to claim the same results, but will dig deeper.

Dan