Hi guys,

We use two aggregator projects to release two WAR applications which have
some shared JAR projects.

This aggregators are not parents. Strictly speaking the JAR projects do not
reference back the aggregators.

As a developer I would like to set a release version not only for the
aggregator but for all modules it references.

It looks like the below command will only change the version for the
aggregator project. Apparently the only way to make the modules change
their version as well will be to make the aggregator a real parent. This
would demand us having really two parents for certain JARS while not for
others. Definitely inheritance is not the way to go but aggregation. This
command will not fail with an ERROR but the modules will not get updated.
<pre>
mvn clean install versions:set -DnewVersion=2.12345678.0
</pre>

It looks like the below command is not working:
<pre>
mvn -U release:update-versions -DdevelopmentVersion=2.12345679.0
</pre>

As I get:
Required goal not found: release:update-versions in
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-release-plugin:2.0-beta-8

I have found some archives about the subject but no real solution to this
problem so far.

Thanks in advance,

- Nestor Urquiza