If I understand this correctly, goal is to release 2 wars, which have some
jars and some wars in common. And, everything is part of the same
multi-module-maven-project.
That would be sth like:

-pom (all versions are defined only here)
 |- jar1
 |- jar2 (depends on  jar1)
 |- war-inc
 |- war A (depends on jar1 and overlays war-inc)
 |- war B (depends on jar2 and overlays war-inc)

With such structure and if you're using maven release plugin, both warA and
warB will be versioned automatically with each release.

My approach is to always release the whole project on the main pom level.
If I need to move from my version 1.2.07 to 1.3.00, I just find and replace
through the whole project current -SNAPSHOT into 1.3.00-SNAPSHOT (which is
defined only in version for the pom and in the parent/version of module
poms).