On 20 August 2013 08:17, Stephen Connolly
<stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, 19 August 2013, wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have 24 modules within my project. Each module reference the parent pom,
>> which defines the actual version of snapshot or deployed project.
>> As maven requires a constant for the definition of the version, 25 poms
>> must be edited just to increment the version of 0.1 point. This is very
>> boring!
>

> Hence use the release plugin when releasing or cutting branches... Use the
> versions plugin for more custom version number changes

Stop and think about this for a second.
How many projects are using Maven?
Do you really think that doing this manually would be considered best practice?
Tedious, automatable tasks are an itch that wont be unscratched for long.

You're best bet would be to do some reading of the freely available
books at http://maven.apache.org/articles.html

You could even have a scan of the plugins at
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/ and see if there are any descriptions
that might help.
release : Release the current project - updating the POM and tagging
in the SCM. SVN JIRA
(which as Stephen points out is the one you want)

If you just want to do some bulk editing, then
versions : Manage versions of your project, its modules, dependencies
and plugins.