On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 9:47 PM, Mark Eggers <its_toas...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 9/13/2013 12:38 PM, Milos Kleint wrote:
>
>> with Compile on Save enabled, the test-compile phase should be skipped and
>> only surefire:test should be executed.
>>
>> However even with that, there's overhead of jvm startup + maven startup
>> before the mojo gets executed. Obviously the overhead is biggest when you
>> run just a single test. Unfortunately not much that can be done here.
>> We've
>> used to execute "Compile on Save" stuff with internal nb execution (via
>> ant
>> in IDE-jvm) but the devil is in the detail there, it's not 100% exactly
>> the
>> same execution as surefire. The current design decision is to be 100%
>> equal
>> to what cmd line executes. The downside is speed.
>>
>> Milos
>>

>> On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 9:25 PM, Mirko Friedenhagen <
>> mfriedenha...@gmail.com
>>
>>> wrote:
>>>

>>  Hello everybody,
>>>
>>> I use Netbeans 7.4 as IDE and mostly like how it uses Maven to get stuff
>>> done. While it is nice that I do not encounter problems as I did with
>>> Eclipse when dealing with dependency scoping I am slowed down when
>>> running
>>> single test files or methods. Netbeans invokes "test-compile
>>> surefire:test
>>> -Dtest=...".
>>>
>>> Now even from the CLI it takes Maven some time to reach surefire:test.
>>> Even
>>> when I do not invoke test-compile 3 seconds are spent before
>>> surefire:test
>>> starts it's work and another 3 seconds afterwards.
>>>
>>> The tests of a single testcase themselves only take 0.3 seconds. With
>>> Eclipse or Intellij the execution happens in less than 1 second while
>>> with
>>> Maven or Netbeans this will take up to 10 seconds even in offline mode.
>>>
>>> Any hints for speeding up things would be appreciated (except of changing
>>> the IDE ;-)).
>>>
>>> Regards Mirko
>>> --
>>> Sent from my mobile
>>>

> Yep, with Compile on Save and an external Maven (using 3.1) and a
> reasonably recent NetBeans 7.4 build I get about 3 seconds for executing a
> focused test method.
>
> In short, it's not the 10 seconds you're seeing, but it's not the 0.3
> seconds you're expecting.
>
> I can certainly live with (and in fact applaud) the design decision to be
> 100% equal to what the command line executes.

actually the biggest problem I get to hear about is not the speed (which I
admit is slower than expected), but the fact that run focused method often
doesn't work, that's due to various combinations of maven-surefire-plugin
and junit/testng version. Only some combinations support the executions of
single test methods.

Milos