The easy way to figure out what is happening is to use Eclipse/STS as your IDE and then you have nice gui tools that will tell you where your sources are supposed to be.
It is free and comes ready to build with maven.
It has a nice editor for pom files and a window that shows you what you effective POM is and another that shows you your whole maven dependency tree with nice little notes about version conflicts and which one Maven has selected for your pleasure.

Ron