> Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2013 08:31:21 -0500
> Subject: Re: AW: AW: AW: mvn release:prepare does not update parent version
> From: gordon.c...@zafin.com
> To: users@maven.apache.org
>
> You may want to upgrade maven itself once more. It is not just maven itself
> but the combination of plugins that are used and your environment matters.
> Ensure that each maven goal you plan on using in your environment actually
> works in your environment before you need it for real. Maven has to work
> with your vcs,
MG>dev .. svn but in prod.. git was used

 your artifact mgmt (nexus/artifactory/other),
MG>ours was nexus but I can see configuration deltas biting the release manager

 your network security policies,
MG>we could download point releases
MG>mega updates from http sites located outside the firewall were and are a
no-no
MG>and could get you in hot water real quick in a 'secure' environment (such as
a bank)

etc. all at the same time.

> When we began upgrading existing projects from mvn-2.0.9 we had to also
> upgrade numerous plugins. It took some effort to find the combination of
> plugins/configuration that allowed us to do 'mvn deploy' successfully with
> mvn-3.0.4. But 'mvn release' did not work in our environment until
> mvn-3.0.5 was released!!
MG>Another big delta
MG>What are the implications for this delta to your dependency object graph?

MG>for child <module>s What are the implications for this delta to your object
graph?

. Underlying plugin(s) had changed.

MG>Exactly..What are the implications for your plugins object graph?
MG>look at this dependency from maven-release-plugin
    <dependency>
      <groupId>org.apache.maven.release</groupId>
      <artifactId>maven-release-manager</artifactId>
      <version>${project.version}</version>
    </dependency>