Hi,
you should use mvn clean test to make sure compilation happens everytime.
Otherwise, you can check recent versions of maven-compiler-plugin (3.1)
which introduced some incremental compilation support [1].

And yes, mvn compile will only compile main source code, you should check
the lifecycle reference [2]

[1]
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-compiler-plugin/compile-mojo.html#useIncrementalCompilation
[2]