I have an unusual issue, a product that is ultimately a webapp, but each screen
is required to be in a separate jar file with no inter-dependencies (though
they all have dependencies to lower level library jars).  I would like to be
able to test each of these jar files within the jar module that builds them by
creating a 'dummy' exploded war file and deploying it to an embedded tomcat.
By having all the source for the screen in a single module we should be able to
test each screen in isolation and use JRebel to tweak the code without
redeployment and perhaps use selenium for a basic UI test of each screen.  We
use the embedded tomcat because we use tomcat in our final war, so the results
will be as close as possible, and we use a database resource via tomcat's
database pool to access the database.

Running the tomcat7:run-war-only goal gives the message 'Skipping non war
project'.  I am creating a war by explicitly running the war:exploded goal
after the test-compile phase.

Is there any miracle of a chance anyone has tried something similar to this and
succeeded?  Does jetty provide a better alternative (and have the database
resources configurable like I have in Tomcat)?

Thanks in advance for any consideration of this issue,
Randy Kamradt