<packaging> is your friend

The C++ code should be using a different packaging type, that way it can
bind the plugins that your C++ packaging needs to the corresponding
lifecycle phases and then...

mvn compile

will do just that, irrespective of whether you are in the C++ or the Java
module, and likewise for

mvn test

mvn package

mvn install