Hi,

I like the idea of images, however I would avoid a graph to make something clear for new Maven users.
Instead I'd prefer a linear model.

I think you should split the current model into pieces:

A project model contains:
- dependencies
- a build plan
- other project models ( you can call this the Droste effect[1] )
- ...

There are several build-plans, namely: a build-plan for jar, war, ear, etc.
Every build plan has a set of predefined plugins, which you can adjust (with switches?)

Now, what does Maven do?

Maven reads the build plan and executes it. Some steps of the build plan deliver products ( compiled classes, test results, a package)

I think the reactor might be confusing at this level.

my 2 cents,

Robert

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Droste_effect