Thanks Stephen,

What you suggest sounds like good practice (not sure why though) however
not a fix for my issue.

The fix is as follows: - somehow your response inspired me :)

In the pom.xml file of the custom plugin there is a plugin configured
maven-plugin-plugin in that plugin add configuration

<goalPrefix>pce</goalPrefix>

I then installed the plugin and I tried mvn pce:pull and that worked fine.
Job done.