I like Roy Lyons contribution as an opening sentence.
I think that the second and third sentence should be about what Maven is not what it is not. If we are going to compare it to Ant or Gradle, it should be done in a way that explains what Maven does not what it does not do.

"Apache Maven is a convention-over-configuration build tool which has great dependency management features. Maven uses a project object model to describe the dependencies and any special processes that are required to build the software. This encapsulates all of the knowledge required to repeatedly build the software as well as the supporting documentation and project reports. This frees the software developer from many of the routine tasks associated with software development. Maven enforces a set of best practices around version control and the software release process which encourages adherence to enterprise and project standards regarding dependent libraries and collaborative development."

Ron