I haven't heard anyone confirm conclusively that this will not work, so up to
now it appears to just be an opinion that there's something wrong with this
approach.

I've also been writing software long enough to know that reality often makes
theory irrelevant.

> You will have much more joy solving the problem in a way that Maven helps
> you.
>
> Does any of Stephen's response help out?

I believe that's a different situation.

There will be a new version of this artifact every single month such that
multiple versions of the same artifact can and will be used at the same time
(very soon we will be using 6 at the same time).  It doesn't make sense to me
to define a new group id or artifact id every month, considering the only
difference between two names (and their contents) will simply be a number,
representing its version number.  If the only difference is the version, then
it should be reflected in the version number, as that's the primary difference
between them.