Hi,

I’m using Maven 3.1.1 on Mac 10.9.1.  When I ran “mvn dependency:analyze” on
my project, I got results that included:

        [WARNING] Unused declared dependencies found:
        …
        [WARNING]    junit:junit:jar:4.11:test

So I commented out the above junit dependency in my pom (declared like so):

                <dependency>
                        <groupId>junit</groupId>
                        <artifactId>junit</artifactId>
                        <version>${version.junit}</version>
                        <scope>test</scope>
                </dependency>

However, when I ran “mvm clean install” on my project, I got errors like

        initializationError0(org.mainco.subco.core.SerializableTest)  Time
elapsed:
0 sec  <<< ERROR!
        java.lang.NoSuchFieldError: NULL
                at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.<init>(ParentRunner.java:48)
                at
org.junit.runners.BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.<init>(BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.java:58)
                at
org.springframework.test.context.junit4.SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.<init>(SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.java:104)

This isn’t the only dependency that the analyze goal lists that wreaks havoc
when I comment it out.  Is there another way to detect what dependencies are
truly not needed by my project?