Hi Sascha,

> > [...]
> > I just wanted to know what the actual status is? Is there no need for
such
> > a IMHO usable and CI- and/or build-server friendly feature? Is there
> > anything missing in the issue/patch/description/...?
> > At least a comment such as "I'll look into that" would be nice :-)
>
> From my POV I can clearly say that this IS something I would like to see
> it in the release plugin :)
>
> You can "work around" it by having a pre-step in the CI / build-server
> using the http://mojo.codehaus.org/versions-maven-plugin/ plugin
> (versions:use-releases / use-next-releases or use-latest-releases). All
> a bit clumsy, but you can make it work.

I know, but in that case you won't have the modified poms checked in into
your SCM; you have to add at least another step to check for local
modifications in combination with an optional SCM commit. If your CI /
build server has lots of projects, well, .... :-)

Apart from that, imagine the following scenario:

Your pom.xml references a dependency in version, say, 1.2.3-SNAPSHOT. Your
repo contains
- 1.2.3 (release)
- 2.0.0
where 2.0.0 has incompatible changes compared to 1.2.3. With
"versions:use-latest-release", you'll eventually get an unreleasable
artifact because it doesn't compile.

The feature request in MRELEASE-835 and the provided patch avoids that.

Greetings

Thorsten