> I wish we could just do a post-release step to strip out debugging
> information and compress Javascript / CSS . . .
post-release?
I suppose you mean post-package
see the complete phase list[1]

there are a lot of phases after complie = the place where code with debug
symbols are generated, so a lot of phases to create stripped content, either
before packaging or after packaging

Regards,

Hervé

[1] http://maven.apache.org/ref/3.2.1/maven-core/lifecycles.html