I seem to keep running into this problem regularly for things not in Maven Central

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-site-plugin:3.3:site (default-site) on project csharp-windows-elevate: Execution default-site of goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-site-plugin:3.3:site failed: Plugin org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-site-plugin:3.3 or one of its dependencies could not be resolved: Could not find artifact net.trajano.wagon:wagon-git:jar:1.0.1-SNAPSHOT in local-nexus (http://localhost:8081/nexus/content/groups/public) -> [Help 1]

I can see the artifact in my local repo, but maven somehow feels, because it cannot find it in my nexus repository, then it does not exist.

The side problem is, even though nexus can see the artifact in its index, it refuses to download it.

Why do maven and nexus work so hard at ignoring artifacts?

Cheers, Eric