I, myself, have also found the lack of ordered plugin execution to be
wanting. Stephen does have a point: complex behavior is likely be better
encapsulated in a new plugin. I don't disagree, but that route can be steep
and I don't want to be detoured into always writing a new plugin. Many
times such behavior can be emulated simply by aggregating the use of
plugins in an ordered fashion. For example, one plugin executes a SQL
script to setup a database, the next plugin executes a Java program to
populate the database according to logic. I've tried that before and can't
because such plugin ordering doesn't exist. So if there is an easy way to
bring this minor enhancement to the Maven community, in 3.x, I think we
should.

Cheers,
Paul