Classifiers are not for what you think they are for... they are for
flagging side artifacts... and in general they should not be used. A good
example of a case for side artifacts is the javadocs.jar. You normally do
not depend on the javadocs jar, it is a side artifact for IDEs.

If you want to flag that a specific build is, e.g. for development use,
then just reflect that in the version, i.e. 1.0-dev-1-SNAPSHOT